Posts Tagged ‘Daughters of the American Revolution’
Before the computer and internet days there was a lady born in Buffalo New York in 1887 named, Lutie WETHY. As a single lady, she and her sister , Marjorie, [sometimes Margaret,] moved to Washington, DC., during World War I, to work for the U.S. Government, and they are found there still on the 1920 census.
Lutie married Thomas J. FOLEY in 1925 and afterward most often used her likely middle name of “Janet” Wethy FOLEY. Janet was the given name of her Scottish maternal grandmother, Janet DUNCAN, who had resided with the WETHY family for some years.
Janet Wethy FOLEY became a very active genealogical sleuth, tracking down old church records in attics and places that surely would have been lost forever if she and her husband had not rescued and transcribed the data. Janet collected items of interest from old family bibles, cemetery records and graveyard visits and in 1934 started a magazine style publication named, “Early Settlers of Western New York,” which after issue No. five became, “Early Settlers of New York State.”
Vol. 4 of serial set “Early Settlers of Western New York” contains the following:
“Akron is only our post office address. We do not live there. Our home is on Route # 5, the main highway across New York State from Albany to Buffalo, 25 miles east of Buffalo and 15 miles west of Batavia.
The Copper Tea Kettle”
Janet and Tom operated this property, “The Copper Kettle”. as a “Tourist Camp” meaning they had cabins for travelers and are so listed on the 1930 census. The house in the postcard photo shown below is now gone and has been replaced by a brick home. I talked to one local resident of Pembroke and they recalled that remains of the cabins could be seen just a few years ago.
As I was searching census records on these people I found Janet listed as “Lutie W. Foley” on the 1930 census in Pembroke, Genesee co., NY., and while reading the page was slightly annoyed by the backwards flourish script of the enumerator which took a few seconds to try to decipher, and then found myself grinning openly when I read that Lutie Wethy Foley was the 1930 census enumerator!
Janet was also a constant speaker and lecturer at many different social groups, historical societies, DAR meetings, village and town celebrations and there are many newspaper announcements that are easily located in various digitized newspaper websites online.
The following are just a few of the dozens of newspaper announcements that I read in preparing this article.
1898 - personal announcement
“Mrs. [Janet] George M. DUNCAN and granddaughter, Lutie WETHY, of Buffalo, are the guests of friends in this city.” -
(Lockport Daily Journal, Thurs. 04 AUG 1898 – www.fultonhistory.com)
1929 – obit excerpt (Janet’s mother.)
“Margaret. Widow of Frank E. WETHY, died July 8, 1929 in Hamburg. Mother of; Mrs. [Lutie/Janet] Thomas J. FOLEY, Mrs. [Viola] Thomas W. DOUGAN, Mrs. [Gladys] John W. NEWTON, Mrs. [Marjorie/Margaret] Harry C. SHAFER, Frank H. WETHY and Mrs. [Catherine/Kathryn] Thomas H. WILLIAMS. Services will be at her late residence 197 Union St., Hamburg, burial in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo.” -
(Hamburg Erie Co. Independent [nd] – www.fultonhistory.com)
1934 – Settlers of Western New York – Serial newspaper articles
[three column article]… Our Aim:
“This column is being published to help American families to learn about their forefathers. Is it helpful to you? Have you looked in vain for your family name?
There is just one way that the editor can help you. Tell him what you want. Send a question. No one can tell how far this paper will go, nor who will read it. Someone may know the answer and solve your problem.
Searching family records requires time and money, but is so worth while. Just now your own paper offers you a valuable service at no expense. Take advantage while you may.
Address all communications, enclosing a stamped envelope for reply, to Mrs. T. J. FOLEY, care of this paper…”-
(Perry NY Record, 10 MAY 1934 – www.fultonhistory.com)
1935 Society column
“Deo-on-go-wa Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution will be entertained tomorrow at the Children’s Home at 311 East Main street by Miss Martha FERRY … Mrs. George W. BABCOCK, the Regent, will preside at the meeting and the address of the day will be given by Miss Janet Wethy FOLEY of Akron, editor of “Early Settlers of New York.”
Miss FOLEY has selected as her subject, “Early Settlers of Western New York.” -”
(Batavia NY Times 12 DEC 1935 - www.fultonhistory.com)
From a 1937 full page newspaper story comes this gem:
“World’s Queerest Hobbies -
Americans lead in Collection of Oddities Gathered from All Parts of the Globe – One Man Likes Miniature Spoons. While Woman Prizes Elephant Covers… [several different types of 'queer hobbies', then:]
Did you ever hear of a ‘cemetery browser’? Well, Janet Wethy FOLEY, of Akron, NY, is one. Her hobby is spending a large part of her time tracking down unidentified tombstones. In the course of her meanderings she finds some queer-reading epitaphs. For instance, in Granville, NY, one of them reads:
‘In memory of Widow B___
Who met her death with no surprise, Jan 3, 1795. Aged 65 years.
N.B – Her son Caleb, by a tender regard, has caused this stone to be erected here”.
Mrs FOLEY admitted another strange-sounding hobby; searching ancient birth and death certificates in old buildings, trunks and churches. It is of course, a form of genealogical research, but it brings richer rewards, she insists, than using the usual method of research: library study.
Mrs. FOLEY is proud of the fact that she has been ‘ancestor hunting’ for twenty years. She explains: ‘Looking for ancestral trees is one of the most fascinating hobbies that one ever enjoyed. The hunt invites you with the promise that you will find many surprises, many famous folks that you did not know belonged to you.’
‘The sad truth is that most families either do not maintain thorough records of their forefathers or they keep none at all’.
Mrs. FOLEY is exceedingly adept at finding old maps of cemeteries and in deciphering them. She has two interesting specimens. One, more than 100 years old, was made of paper and pasted on an old piece of calico. Through the years even the calico got frayed and wore out almost completely.
The lesson told of this map is obvious, Mrs. FOLEY says. It proves that maps bearing the names of people who buy lots in cemeteries ought to be made on something far more durable than paper.” [other queer hobbies...]
(Gastonia Daily Gazette, April 12, 1937 – www.NewspaperArchive.com)
1939 – Newspaper Article excerpt
“October D.A.R. Meeting -
The October meeting ot the Enoch Crosby Chapter, D.A.R., was held Monday, Oct. 9…
Mrs Janet Wethy FOLEY of Akron, NY, who with her husband, Thos. J. FOLEY, compiles and edits the monthly magazine, “Early Settlers of New York State, Their ancestors and Descendants,” spoke briefly but earnestly on the invaluable advantage and incentive of displaying an ancestral chart where a child may see it constantly and become unconsciously influenced by this standard…”
(Putnam County Republican, Carmel, NY – 14 OCT 1939 - www.fultonhistory.com)
1940 – Newspaper Article
“Traces History of Old Families -
A member of an old Western New York family whose hobby has become a life work was in Niagara Falls yesterday afternoon in conjunction with the meeting here of the National Society of New England Women. Mrs. Janet Wethy FOLEY, of Akron, NY., who makes a business of searching old New York state church records and looking up ancestors for those who want to know something about their families, was on hand at the registration desk in the mezzanine of the Hotel Niagara to give information to interested members.
Mrs. FOLEY, who with her husband, Thomas J. FOLEY, has been engaged in this unusual occupation for the past six years, compiles a monthly magazine embodying the results of their researches. These are distributed to libraries and to interested individuals. It all started, Mrs. FOLEY explained, when she wanted to find something about her own ancestors and discovered that vital statistics were non-existent in this state before 1880. That led to a search of church records and since then she and her husband have gone into such study professionally.
Many records which would otherwise be lost beyond all recall have been unearthed in the process., Mrs. FOLEY declared. In her magazine, these names are printed as they are found in the baptismal, marriage and funeral records of the churches, many of which have been out of formal existence for many years. Most valuable feature of their studies, she said, has been to inspire custodians of such records to improve and preserve these valuable files and to search out others.
‘We have found records under the eaves of old farmhouses, records of churches which have not had any congregations for many years,’ Mrs. FOLEY said. ‘Some of these are crumbling to pieces but we have managed to piece them together and make some sense out of the faded writing.’
Asked why she had not added photography to her method of study, Mrs. FOLEY admitted that it was chiefly because neither she, nor her husband knew much about cameras.
‘Besides it is so hard to read many of the names that I don’t see how it would be much help,’ she said. They will continue to copy the records in long hand.”
(The Niagara Falls Gazette – 23 MAY 1940 - www.fultonhistory.com)
1941 –Appointed First Genesee County Historian – January 31,
“The Board of Supervisors of Genesee County appointed the first County Historian, Mrs. Janet Wethy Foley.”
(Genesee County, New York 20th Century-In-Review and Family Histories)
1944 – Founding Member of the New York State Association of County Historians
“Form New State Historians Group
Albany, NY – Local historians are invited to join the recently formed New York State Association of County Historians, State Historian Albert R. COREY announced. Membership is open to all county and city historians and to town and village historians upon recommendation of their respective county historians.
The officers are…[one of the elected members of the Executive Council] Mrs. Janet W. FOLEY, of Genesee county…
The objects of the association are to increase the efficiency and improve the status of its members; to encourage the collection of records of all kinds; to assist the State Historian in compiling an index of historical materials in the state; to aid in research and publication; to assist and cooperate with county and town clerks and all other local officers in the performance of their duties and in the care and safety of the public records; to cooperate with local schools, libraries and museums in their history and social studies programs; to assist in preserving historic sites; to cooperate with others in historical and commemorative exercises and to work closely with local historical societies…”
(Niagara Falls Gazette, Mon Oct 16, 1944 – www.fultonhistory.com)
Janet Wethy foley is third from right)
Her lineal connection to Isaac McWETHY is:
Lutie Janet WETHY (1887-1962) married 1925, Thomas James FOLEY (1894-1949)
Frank Eugene WETHY (1865-1926) married Margaret J. DUNCAN (1863-1929)
Martin Van Buren WETHY (1836-1913) married Sally Jane MORRIS (1838-1933)
Martin McWETHY (1808-1878) married Priscilla WARREN
Silas McWITHEY (1775-1845)
Isaac McWITHEY/McWETHEY of Granville, Washington Co., NY., married Polly MILLER.
Janet and Tom’s Marriage Record:
Groom: Thomas J. FOLEY Bride: Lutie L. WETHY
34 Lyth Ave. 34 Lyth Ave.
Occupation: Stockman Occupation: Tea Room
White – age 31 White – age 38
First marriage First marriage
Birthplace: Boston, Mass. Birthplace: Buffalo, NY
Father: Thomas, b. Boston, Mass. Father: Frank, born Warsaw, NY
Mother: Mary CONLEY, b. Boston, Mass. Mother: Margaret DUNCAN, b. Buffalo, NY
(Note: No dates of birth shown.)
Date of license: June 18, 1925
Date of Marriage: June 20, 1925
Place of Marriage: Buffalo, NY., Official: Lucius E. Ford, minister
Witness: Marjorie J. SCHAEFER, Salamanca, NY.
(Data from Photocopy of Marriage Record from City of Buffalo, City Hall, Buffalo Vital Records.)
1949 – obit:
“Thomas J. FOLEY
East Pembroke, March 7, – Thomas J. FOLEY, 55, of East Pembroke, died at 11:10 o’clock Saturday morning (March 5, 1949) at St. Jerome’s Hospital in Batavia where he had been a patient for a month.
Mr. FOLEY was born on December 18, 1893 in Melrose, Mass., a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas FOLEY.
He spent his life in genealogical research and had recently been associated with the Farrel, Birmingham Company in Buffalo.
Surviving is his wife, Mrs. Janet Wethy FOLEY, the County Historian.
Friends may call at the Bernhardt Funeral Home at Akron until noon tomorrow. Funeral services will be at 2:00 o’clock tomorrow afternoon at the First Baptist Church of Akron. The Rev. G. Charles Weaver, Thd,, pastor of the Methodist church at Batavia, assisted by the Rev Taylor Light of the Akron Baptist church and the Rev. Hugh Winton of the East Pembroke Baptist church, will officiate. Interment will be in the Wethy family plot in Forest Lawn cemetery in Buffalo.”
(Batavia Daily News – 06 MAR 1949 – microfilm at Richmond Memorial Library, Batavia, NY.)
1962 obit – Janet Wethy Foley
“Mrs. Thomas J. FOLEY, 74, of 100 Summit St., widow of Thomas J. FOLEY, died Monday evening (Jan 8, 1962) at Buffalo General Hospital after an illness of several months.
Mrs. FOLEY was born in Buffalo, the daughter of the late Frank E. and Margaret J. DUNCAN WETHY. She was a member of the First Baptist Church.
Mrs. FOLEY was prominent in activities of the Holland Purchase Historical Society, of which she was past president. She also was active in Deo-on-go-wa Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. For several years she led DAR-sponsored programs for new citizens during naturalization court sessions. She also conducted bus tours to points of historical interest.
Services will be at 2 pm Thursday at the First Baptist church, conducted by the Rev. Carl J. Spieker, associate pastor. Interment will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo. Friends may call at the H.E. Turner & Co., Inc. mortuary.”
(Batavia Daily News – 09 JAN 1962 – microfilm at Richmond Memorial Library, Batavia, NY.)
Lutie Janet (WETHY) FOLEY – 1887 – 1962
“Friends of the Late Mrs. Thomas J. FOLEY of 100 Summit St., widow of Thomas J. FOLEY, may call at the H.E. Turner & Co., Inc. Mortuary until noon Thursday.
Services will be conducted by the Rev. Carl J. Spieker, associate pastor of the First Baptist Church, of which Mrs. FOLEY was a member at 2 pm Thursday at the church. Interment will be in Forest Lawn Cemetery.
Born in Buffalo, Mrs. FOLEY received her education at Miss Nardin’s academy, Public School 17 and Masten Park High School in that city. She was a past Regent Daughter of the American Revolution, past president of the Holland Purchase Historical Society, former Genesee County Historian and a member of the Genesee Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, the YWCA and its newcomer Club, the Federation of Women’s Republican Clubs of New York State, the State Button Society and was active in other charitable organizations.
Surviving are four sisters, Mrs. Viola F. DOUGAN of Hamburg, Mrs. Gladys W. NEWTON and Mrs. Marjorie J. SCHAFER, both of Springbrook, and Mrs. Katharyn W. WILSON of Auburndale, Mass., a brother, Frank H. WETHY of Hamburg, and nieces and nephews.”
(Batavia Daily News – 09 JAN 1962 – microfilm at Richmond Memorial Library, Batavia, NY.)
“The funeral of Mrs. Thomas J. FOLEY of 100 Summit St., was at 2 pm, Thursday at the First Baptist Church…
Floral tributes included those from the YWCA Newcomers Club, Deo-on-gowa Chapter, DAR, First Baptist Church, Philathea Class of the East Pembroke Baptist Church and the Holland Purchase Historical Society.
Relatives and friends attended from Hamburg, Springbrook, Auburndale, Mass, Rochester, Buffalo, East Pembroke and Batavia.”
(Batavia Daily News – 13 JAN 1962 – microfilm at Richmond Memorial Library, Batavia, NY.)
Wethy Family Plot, Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, NY., Section 26, Lot# 42. Janet Wethy FOLEY and Thomas James FOLEY Gravestones – Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, NY.
Lutie Janet's Parents Gravestones – Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, NY.
So fellow readers of the Upstate New York Genealogy Blog, you may feel comfort in knowing that your queer hobby has grown slightly since the 1930′s.
This article is my tribute to a relatively unsung hero of genealogists everywhere that have ancestors from New York State.
Upstate New York Genealogy
Various census used for this article:
1880 Federal census Buffalo, Erie Co., NY
1892 NYS census, Buffalo, Ward 24
1900 Federal census Buffalo, Erie Co., NY
1915 NYS census, Buffalo, Ward 17
1920 Federal census Washington, DC
1930 Federal census Pembroke, Genesee Co., NY
U.S. City Directories:
Buffalo and Washington, DC.
Editorial comment on “Early Settlers of New York State”
There are hundreds of articles in “Early Settlers of New York State” that will provide clues to your ancestors from areas all around New York State. It appears as though Janet and Tom must have taken research trips all throughout the western parts of the state as well as the Mohawk Valley region and many parts up and down the Hudson River Valley. Unfortunately the original source documents are not described as to location and condition, but you as a genealogical researcher ought to be able to track them down for your own citations.
Here are just a few of the hundreds of topics covered; West Bloomfield, Ontario county, Tombstones Oakfield, Obituary records by surname, personal newspaper items of long ago, Merchant records, Old bible records, marriage records. Church records, Bottenkill/Greenwich, Washington Co., NY., Granville, Washington co., NY., Pittstown, Rensselaer County, Bethlehem, Albany co. Church records, Bennington, VT., Baptist church records, Goodwill, Orange Co., Church records, Troy, NY., Yates county, Hudson, Columbia Co., Watertown, NY., Claverack, Columbia Co., and on and on…
Readers that might want to purchase “Early Settlers of New York State” will find the reprint of the two volume set available at the Genealogical Publishing Company www.genealogical.com. It is also offered as a CD-ROM version which is rather a nice feature to have at your fingertips, as it is all word searchable. You will also find used copies from time to time on eBay, ABEBooks.com and Amazon.com. The original serial sets are rather scarce and hard to find.
Thanks go to the following for their kind assistance in research for this article:
Mary Kay Wright, Western NY Genealogical Society volunteer at the Grosvenor Room of the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library.
Cynthia Van Ness, Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society .
Carol Heffley, Daughters of the American Revolution member.
Staff at Buffalo and Erie County Public Library.
Staff at Forest Lawn Cemetery, Buffalo, NY.
Judy Stile, Research Assistant, Genesee County Historian’s Office.
Tom Tryniski owner operator of www.FultonHistory.com
ps: If anyone has any idea as to where Janet and Tom’s original source records are located it would be great fun to investigate.
1931 Syracuse Newspaper Story About DAR Marking Graves of 595 Revolutionary War Soldiers Buried in Onondaga County
(The following transcribed newspaper article is dated: 28 JUN 1931.)
“Marking of Revolutionary War Graves By D.A.R. Signals Start of Campaign to Identify 595 in Onondaga County.”
[two ladies photos,]
“Mrs. W. L. POTTER, left, and Mrs. Leon E. BUSHNELL, regents, of General Asa DANFORTH, and To-whan-to-qua Chapters, Daughters of American Revolution, who are in charge of a co-operative program having for its aim the marking of all graves of Revolutionary soldiers buried in Onondaga County.
Co-operative Program to Designate Heroes’ Resting Places With Bronze Tablets Containing Records Is Begun.
In placing tablets on graves of Revolutionary War Soldiers in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Onondaga Hill, and in DeWitt Cemetery near Orville, Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution took another step in their co-operative program to provide suitable markers of all 595 soldiers buried in Onondaga County.
These markers, 35 of which already have been set up, include bronze tablets carrying names and service records of the soldiers mounted on concrete blocks, providing identification of the resting places of men who helped to establish Liberty for American colonists.
None of these men was a native of Onondaga County, that region being a forest wilderness inhabited only by Indians and wild life of woods and stream at the time of the revolution.
At the close of the war New York State opened up a vast tract of land in Central New York, of which the present Onondaga County was a part, to Revolutionary soldiers and hundreds of men migrated to the then wilderness country with their families and became pioneer settlers in the new land.
Many of these settlers became widely known in the early history of county, State and nation. Other names have been perpetuated by descendants, some of whom are prominent resident of Onondaga County today.
Markers were placed on the graves at Onondaga Hill by Gen. Asa DANFORTH Chapter, D.A.R., of which Mrs. W.L. POTTER is regent.
To-whan-to-qua Chapter, Mrs. Leon E. BUSHNELL, regent, has marked the 14 known graves in Orville Cemetery and the sons of the Revolution are starting their work in the Jamesville Cemeteries, where many soldiers of the Revolution are resting.
All of the 14 graves in the Walnut Grove Cemetery at Onondaga Hill are now marked except that of Daniel RAYNOR, father of Henry RAYNOR, early Syracuse settler, for whom Raynor Avenue is named and who lived in a house on what is now Hendricks Field, Syracuse University. A descendant, George RAYNOR, lives in Texas. The 13 graves so far marked in that cemetery are those of Capt. James BEEBE, William EVANS, Justus JOHNSON, Jonathan STRONG, Stephen WARD, Ebenezer JUDD, Ebenezer WHITE, Barney LINCOLN, Sr., Ebenezer COVILLE, Roderick ADAMS, Josiah BROWNSON, Jonathan POTTER and John WIGGINS.
Captain BEEBE was an early Inn Keeper at Onondaga Hill and keeper of the County Jail when Onondaga Hill was the seat of Onondaga County and the rival of Onondaga Valley for metropolitan honors. He was drowned in Seneca River in 1821 while returning from Oswego, where he had gone on business. Mrs. Fred L. LOES, 1804 Valley Drive, is a descendant of Captain BEEBE.
Jonathan STRONG, father of Oliver STRONG, one of the early judges of Onondaga County, has many descendants in New York State, one of them, William W. STRONG, a native Syracusan, being owner of a department store in Gloversville.
Lucius KINNE, for many years a Syracuse banker, is a great-grandson of Cyrus KINNE, the first settler in Fayetteville, who is buried in Orville Cemetery. The Revolutionary soldier lay for many years in the old cemetery in Fayetteville until 1917, when his bones were transferred to Orville. Miss Gertrude Belle KINNE of East Syracuse is a great-granddaughter.
Orlo D. BURHANS, 206 Furman Street; H.N. BURHANS, 2627 East Genesee Street, and Mrs. E.A. HUNT, 2017 East Genesee Street, are descendants of two Revolutionary soldiers, one Henry BURHANS, being buried at Orangeville, and the other, Nehemiah CARPENTER, in Collamer Cemetery.
Their father Colonel BURHANS, commanded the 149th New York Infantry in the Civil War.
Mrs. John AUSTIN and her daughter, Mrs. R.E. PUTNAM, 2001 Roosevelt Avenue, are descended from Daniel J. FORT, buried at Pompey Hill. His son, Daniel FORT, once served as mayor of Oswego.
Mrs. Gerald M. PARCE, 205 East Seneca Turnpike, is a descendant of Maj. Daniel ALLEN, buried in Pompey Hollow Cemetery. Major ALLEN was the father of Herrick ALLEN, long one of the most prominent residents of Delphi Falls, and a relative of Ozias BURR, first judge of the Court of Common Pleas in Onondaga County. It is said of Judge BURR that he never appeared in court without a ruffled shirt but frequently presided over law cases in his bare feet. Judge BURR, also a Revolutionary veteran, is buried near his kinsman in Pompey Hollow.
Jacob LOW, who is buried at Jamesville, was an ancestor of Bessie M. RHINES of 120 Warrington Road, Mrs. W.H. THOMAS of 118 Rustin Avenue is descended form Elijah WALLACE, who lies in a small burial plot south of Oran.
Dr. Edward ANNABLE, buried at Marcellus, and a guard at the execution of Major ANDRE, was an ancestor of Mrs. Adiline BOYD of 205 Kensington Place. Mrs. BOYD also is a descendant of Joseph AMIDON and Samuel VINTON, whose graves are in the cemetery east of Navarino.
Mrs. C.W. COLEMAN of 203 Furman Street, in charge of research work for Gen. Asa DANFORTH Chapter D.A.R., is descended from Barney LINCOLN, buried at Onondaga Hill. C.A. COLLINS, postmaster at Oran, is the great-great-grandson of Hezekiah OLCOTT, the first white man to be buried at Pompey Hill.
H.E. RANSIER, veteran Manlius pharmacist, is the great-grandson of George RANSIER, who is buried in Manlius Cemetery.
In the old cemetery east of Elbridge is the grave of Squire MUNRO, ancestor of the MUNRO family, of which Thomas H. MUNRO and Edwin K. MUNRO of Camillus are members.
Robert GEDDES, 310 ½ Van Rensselaer Street, is the great-great grandson of Judge James GEDDES, first settler of the town which bears his name and surveyor and engineer who laid out the Erie Canal. Mr. GEDDES also is a descendant of Timothy JEROME, father-in-law of Judge GEDDES, and one of the first settlers in the town of Fabius. Judge GEDDES lies in Oakwood Cemetery and Mr. JEROME is buried in Pompey Hill.
Edward SNIFFEN, superintendent of the Syracuse Herald composing room, is the great-great-grandson of Robert SNIFFEN, whose grave is in Cardiff Cemetery.
Among the graves of distinguished Revolutionary War soldiers in Onondaga County is that of Peter BOWMAN, an aide of Gen. George WASHINGTON, who is buried in Belle Isle Cemetery. Gen. Asa DANFORTH, one of the pioneers of Onondaga, at Onondaga Valley; Gen. Isaac HALL, at Lafayette; Col. Bigelow LAWRENCE and Dan BRADLEY, in Marcellus, and Moses DeWITT, first surrogate of Onondaga County, whose bones lie in a neglected burial ground a mile south of Jamesville.
Fifty-five Revolutionary heroes are buried in the town of Onondaga. Gen. John ELLIS, who built the house still standing across the road from the Onondaga County Home and introduced Merino sheep into New York State, is buried in a family plot close to his home.
At South Onondaga are the graves of Jacob AMIDON, Joseph AMIDON, Jabesh COLE, Maj. David LAWRENCE, Caleb POTTER, Benony REYNOLDS, Gideon SEELEY, Solomon DAY and Benjamin GRIFFIN.
Parley HOWLET, ancestor of a widely known family is buried at Howlett Hill, as are Joseph TAPP, Bensby ROBBINS, James WHITNEY, Jonathan HAWN, Joel CORNISH, Giles CASE and William BACON.
In the cemetery east of Navarino are graves of Azariah HALL, Ephraim HALL, Gideon PITTS, David VINTON, Samuel VINTON, George WEBBER, Stephen WICKHAM, William CHURCH, James GAMBELL, and John HENDERSON.
Graves of [widely?] known pioneers are in the cemetery in Onondaga Valley, now a part of Syracuse. Among them are General DANFORTH, Dr. John BREWSTER, Isaac DANKS, Joseph FORMAN, founder of Syracuse; Increase HOOKER, Judah HOPKINS, Capt. Joseph PECK, William WYMAN, John LATHROP and Aaron WOOD.
In Onondaga Valley Cemetery also is the grave of Ebenezer MOORE, who served with General LaFAYETTE and who was known as “Cabbage Head,” because of his large head. It is said that when General LaFAYETTE visited Onondaga Hill in 1825 he recognized MOORE and called him by name, although it had been more than 40 years since he had seen him.
Ephraim WEBSTER, first settler in the county, is remembered by a monument in Onondaga Valley Cemetery, although the pioneer is buried at Alabama Center in the western part of the state, where he died while on a trip through that region.
Pompey, with [33?] graves of Revolutionary soldiers, leads the county; Clay, with six, has the fewest, except Geddes, which after the organization of the village of Syracuse, has not a single known Revolutionary grave.
Among the graves in Pompey Hill Cemetery, where 24 are buried, are those of Timothy JEROME, Ebenezer BUTLER, first settler in Pompey; Hezekiah OLCOTT and David BEARD, whose son became a widely known business man in Fayetteville. Others are:
Isaac BALDWIN. Lebbeus BALL, Capt. Seeley CASTLE, Dr. Hezekiah CLARKE, Timothy COSSITT, Thomas DYER, Samuel DEWEY, Daniel FORT, Benjamin HAYES, Richard HISCOCK, Hezekiah HOPKINS, Timothy PHELPS, Levi JEROME, Samuel PITTS, Zaddock SEYMOUR, William SHANKLAND, Isreal SLOAN, John SLOSSON, Elisha SMITH, Godfrey WILLISTON, Josiah BIGELOW, William GARRETT, the Rev. Joseph GILBERT, Jacob HOBART, James KING, John MILLS, John TODD, Samuel WHEELOCK, William WILLIAMS and Moses WOOD.
In Oran Cemetery are graves of Asa BARNS, Phineas BARNS, Joseph BARTHOLOMEW, Daniel CANDOR, Jedediah CLEVELAND, Isaac DELEMETER, Stephen EATON, Ashebel GRIDLEY, Elizah GRIDLEY, Francis HALE, Noah PALMER, Aaron PARKINSON, Capt. Enos PECK, David SCOVILLE, Jonathan BUELL, Daniel DUNHAM, Thomas FOSTER, Joseph HART, Samuel MORRIS, Elisha THOMAS, John WHITE, Job WILLIAMS, Ebenezer WRIGHT and Calvin SPRAGUE.
At Pompey Hollow are graves of William COOK, Isiah DEAN, Dr. Zachariah CUTTING, Josiah HOLBROOK and Benjamin LEWIS.
At Delphi Falls are graves of Stutson BENSON, Jeremiah CRANDALL, Elisha GAGE, Ephraim LEECH, Abel SHERWOOD, John SHIELDS, James CAMERON, Benjamin COATS, David SWEET and Stephen JACKSON.
Timothy SWEET, ancestor of the SWEET family widely known in the industrial history of Syracuse, is buried in the Sweet Cemetery near Watervale. So are David HINSDELL, Reuben MURRAY and Thomas LEWIS.
James BROOKHART is buried in a cemetery two miles southeast of Pompey Hill. Others there are Nicholas BARTLETT and Daniel CURTIS. On a farm north of Pompey Hill is the grave of Conrad BUSH. Elijah WALLACE lies in a plot south of Oran. Capt. Jeremiah JAKSON is buried on a farm west of Pompey and Ralph WHEELOCK’s grave is in the hillside cemetery at Watervale.
Twenty-two soldiers are in graves in the town of Camillus. Among the 10 in Belle Isle Cemetery is the grave of John CLARK, Solomon HUNTLEY, Zebulon ISHAM, Capt. William McCRACKEN, Robert PAINE, Stephen [ROBNOR?], John WALTER, Aaron WHITE and Samuel HOPKINS.
Isaac BROWN, Stephen THOMPSON, Denison WHEELER and Stephen WATKINS are buried in Fairmount, and Benjamin BUCKLIN, Jeremiah DUNHAM, Reuben KIDDER and Enoch WOOD lie in the old cemetery west of Camillus.
At Oswego Bitters are Isaac CLUTE, Benjamin CULVER and John MARSHALL and Col. John DILL, one of the earliest settlers in the town, lies in Wheeler Cemetery.
Thirteen soldiers graves are in the town of Cicero with those of Roswell BARNS, Samuel BURLINGTON, Joseph DAMON and Benjamin [DAMON?] in the cemetery across Chittenango Creek from Bridgeport.
Elijah LOOMIS, the first settler at South Bay, and David POTTER are buried at Stone Arabia, and the Rev. John SHEPHERD, John TEN EYCK, William PARSONS, Stephen BENEDICT, Oliver STEVENS, Peter TERPENNING and Rial BINGHAM at Cicero village.
All the known graves in Clay are in Euclid Cemetery. They include William BEAGLE, John LYNN, John MARSHALL, Zebulon PATCHETT, Ellis THAYER and John WEIZEK[?].
Forty-one Revolutionary soldiers are buried in the town of DeWitt. At Orville are Cyrus KINNE, Anthony BADGLEY, Freelove [BLOTTIE?-SIC][BLAKE], Henry BOGARDUS, who kept the first Inn in Syracuse where the Empire Hotel now stands; Peter BOGARDUS, Silas BURKE, Stephen LEONARD, Gad MILLER, Benjamin MOREHOUSE, first settler at Manlius; John POST, one of the organizers of early Free Masonry; Pelham RIPLEY, John YOUNG, Henry BURHANS and Andrew THOMPSON.
In Jamesville Cemetery are graves of Elijah BARNUM, Thomas DIXON, Thomas DONNELLY, Dr. George EAGER, Jeremiah GOULD, Elias GUMACH[?], Stephen HUNGERFORD, Jacob LOW, Roger MERRIL, Peter MESSENGER, Col. David OLMSTEAD, George W. OLMSTEAD, Mathew WILCOX, William BREWSTER, Isaac DODGE, Job KEEN, Joseph LEAVITT, Joseph REED, Robert RICHARDSON and Elijah SPRAGUE.
At Collamer are graves of Philip BRITTON, Nehemiah CARPENTER, Simon TERWILLIGER, John BURTON, John DEVOE and Peter TALLMAN, while in an old cemetery on the Salt Springs Road is that of Abijah ADAMS.
In the old cemetery at Elbridge are 17 of the 25 graves in that town. They are Stephen BENNETT, Carter CHAPPELL, Caius HARMON, John HESS, Horace KELLOGG, Gilbert MALLORY, Squire MANRO, David BERRY, Nicholas PICKARD, Stephen PRATT, David REDNER, Freelove ROBERTS, William TAYLOR, Daniel VARE, Elijah WARD and Daniel HAMMOND.
James BETTS[?], Ebenezer DAGGETT, Samuel SANDS and Patrick CARSO are buried in the old Jordan Cemetery: Ephraim GORHAM, William STEVENS and John PAGE at Mount Hope, near Elbridge and Abner LEE in Meech Cemetery near Jordan.
Thirty-one graves in the town of Fabius are in these cemeteries: Old Fabius, Capt. Joseph ANDREWS, Reuben CADWELL, Ambrose GROW, David JOY, Abner HUBBARD, Capt. John SWIFT, Rufus CARTER, Joseph CADWELL.
Fabius Evergreen – William BENSON, Simon KEENEY, Elijah ANDREWS, Josiah HILLS.
Apulia – Amos BENEDICT, John CROSS, William FOX, Jacob GOODRICH, Phiny MILLER, James PENOYER, William PERRY, David ROWLAND, Stephen DAVIS.
An old cemetery west of Apulia holds the graves of Rufus CARTER and Theodore MILES. In a cemetery two miles south of Fabius are those of Abraham LANSING, Patrick McDONALD, Patrick SINNOTT[?] and John P. WALLACE. Isaac NEGUS is buried in Beach Cemetery in the northwestern part of the town, William ANDERSON is in Keeney Settlement Cemetery and Daniel MERRILL is buried near Gooseville.
In Lafayette cemeteries are:
Sherman Hollow – Ruben BRYAN, Benjamin JUNE, Solomon OWEN, James PIERCE, James SHERMAN and John EVERINGHAM.
Pine Grove, near Navarino – Asa DRAKE, Ambrose NORTON, William CAMPBELL, Enoch DRAKE, Elijah REED.
Lafayette – Jonathan EMMOND, Gen. Isaac HALL, Jedediah WINCHELL, Daniel COLE, Joseph COLE, James DAVIS, Jeremiah FULLER[?], Joseph SMITH.
Cardiff – Nathaniel GAGE, Zenas NORTHWAY, Robert SNIFFEN, ancestor of Edward SNIFFEN, superintendent of the Herald Composing room; Augustinus SHUE, Daniel WINCHELL, Nathan ABBOTT, Samuel COLEMAN.
Houghtaling Settlement near Onativia – John HOUGHTALING; abandoned cemetery near Lafayette, Isaac HOYT; Webb Hollow, Benjamin WEBB.
Of the 21 graves in Lysander, those of Parmenius ADAMS, Silas SCHOFIELD. Isaac DOLSEN and Elijah [DOLSEN?] are in Plainville; Nathan BETTS, Jacob NORTHRUP, Joseph GORDON and John MASTIN at Lysander, formerly Betts Corners; Nathan BORDEN, Nathan KELLOGG, Jonathan PALMER, Nathaniel PALMER and Austin SMITH at Jacksonville.
Other Lysander graves are those of William FLEMING and Samuel PRESTON at Belgium. George FRAVOR, Stiles FREEMAN, John GREY, Edward TYLER and Daniel CHASE in Chase’s Cemetery near Lamsons and Joel ROSE in a grave one and one half miles west of Baldwinsville.
Dr. Amos GRANGER, father of Amos GRANGER, widely known Syracuse pioneer, is in one of the 24 graves in Manlius village cemetery. Others buried there are Elijah BACHUS, Nathan BENEDICT, Paul CLAPP, Col. William GARDINER, George GRINELL, Phineas KELLOGG, Caleb MERRILL, first master of Military Lodge of Masons; Moses MILLS, Josiah OLCOTT, Major PARKE, Zebedee POTTER, George RANSEAR, Timothy TEALL, first town clerk of Manlius; Robert WILSON, early postmaster; Ichabod WOOD, Henry CLARK, John FLEMING, Samuel HOPKINS, Daniel HUBBARD, Capt. William TRYON, William WARD and Daniel WATTLES.
Other graves in the town of Manlius are those of Levi BISHOP, Origen[?] EATON and Capt. Sanford PULVER in Fayetteville. Gershom BREED and Simon PHILLIPS in Breeds Cemetery east of Fayetteville, Adam WALTER in Gates Cemetery near Deep Spring, Lawrence HARTER and Benjamin DARLING in Minoa, David DEWEY, John FERGUSON, Solomon HATCH, Thomas HAYWOOD and John TOMB at North Manlius and Harmon VAN SLYCK and Cornelius VAN TASSELL at Manlius Center.
In Marcellus are those of James BAKER, Elisha CHAPMAN, William COBB, Martin COSSITT, John DILLABOR, Reuben DORCHESTER, Josiah FROST, Chauncey GAYLORD.
William GILES, Capt. Reuben HUMPHRIES, also a state senator; Jesse KELLOGG, George KENNEDY, Ariel LAWRENCE, Col. Bigelow LAWRENCE, Bigelow LAWRENCE, Jr., Joab LAWRENCE, Peter LAWRENCE, Robert McCULLOCH, Freeman NORTON, Eleazur PORTER, Jonathan RANDALL, Daniel SHERMAN, Samuel TYLER, Dan BRADLEY, Amos COOK, Joseph CHAFFEE.
Nathan KELSEY, Thomas NORTH, John RHODES, who built the first mill at Marcellus; Samuel RICE, Joseph BISHOP and Major Amaziah BOYCE.
In Thorn Hill Cemetery are graves of Elijah BOWEN, David EARLL, Jeremiah FITZGERALD, Timothy KNAPP, James HISCOCK, Oliver HYDE, Luther MANLEY, Timothy MILLS, Job SMITH, Samuel CONKLIN, Joshua GARDNER and Stephen NORTON, while in Marietta John G. BURTIS is buried.
Of the 23 graves in Otisco these five are in Amber:
Joseph BALCH, Dr. John DAVIS, Samuel STEWART, Samuel HALL and David MOORE. Others are in these burial grounds:
Octagon Schoolhouse – Leavitt BILLINGS, Ebenezer FRENCH, Isaiah FRISBEE, Aphalon KING, Christopher MONK, Ebenezer POMEROY.
Cemetery one mile east of Otisco – Capt. Eliakin CLARK, Charles MERRIMAN, Ira POMEROY, Edward ROSE, Benjamin COWLES, Samuel FRENCH, Job G. FELLERS, ancestor of the FELLOWS family in Onondaga, Michael JOHNSON and Jonathan KINGSLEY.
On a farm near Maple Grove is the grave of Peter COREY, on one near Otisco is that of Lieut. Lemuel RUST and on one west of the same hamlet Moses PELTON is buried.
Fifty-four soldiers are buried in the town of Skaneateles, as follows:
Owasco Cemetery at Dutch Hollow – Elkanah BENSON, Stephen BENSON, Garrett COWNOVER, Martin GUYKENDALL, Wilhelmus CUYKENDALL, Cornelius DeWITT, Elijah DRAKE, Daniel ENNIS, Abraham STRYKER, Peter TALLMAN, Resoloth VAN HOUTEN, Obijah BAKER, Peter DECKER.
Mottville – Joseph BILLINGS, Daniel EARLL, Jonas EARLL, Gen Robert EARLL, Thomas WARD.
Skaneateles – Eli CLARK, Dr. Nehemiah CLEMIA[?], Joseph CLIFT, Bethuel COLE, Abraham CUDDEBACK, Simeon EWARDS, Solomon EDWARDS, Thaddeus EDWARDS, Nathaniel EELLS, Thomas GREENE, Asa HATCH, Moses LEGG, Nathan LEONARD, Charles PARDEE, Jared PATCHEN, Capt. Samuel RHODES.
William L. VREDENBURGH, Jonathan WESTON, James WILDER, John WILKINSON, father of the first postmaster of Syracuse; Samuel BEEBE, John BRIGGS, David HALL, Daniel LUDLOW, Benjamin NYE, Joseph RHODES, James ROOT, Joseph STEVENS, John TEN EYCK, Ephraim THOMAS.
Shepherd Settlement – Jerrisha SAVAGE, John WEST, John BURROUGHS, Benjamon BUSH; Bennett Corners – John WALSH; a farm near Octagon School – Oliver PERK.
In the town of Spafford are 22 graves in these cemeteries:
Spafford – Thompson BURDICK, James CHURCHILL, Capt. Elipahet HYDE, Peter KNAPP, Jeremiah OLMSTEAD, Daniel OWENS, Samuel PRINDEL, Dr. Ebenezer PATTERSON.
Cold Brook – John CHURCH and Isaac TOWNE: Davis Cemetery – Ellas[?] DAVIS and Amos FISHER.
Borodino – Robert FULLER, John GREENE, Jesse MALEY, Reuben MAXSON, Timothy ADAMS, John GALE, Elias JACKSON, Joseph LEWIS, Gordon COLTON, Benjamin WALLACE.
The 21 graves in the town of Tully are in these cemeteries:
Tully – Elijah BRONSON, Ichabod CONE, Andrew ENGLISH, Dr. Samuel HUTCHINGS, Paul JAMES, Seth TROWBRIDGE, Stephen TROBRIDGE, William TROWBRIDGE, Moses TUTTLE, Capt. Garrett VAN HOOSEN, John G. WILSON and Joseph WILSON.
Vesper – Enoch FARLEY, James FULLER and Amos CARR; west of Tully Lakes, Henry WHITE, William WHITE, cemetery south of Tully, James GOODELL, Shubell KNIFFEN and Timothy WALKER; Tully Valley, David WHITE.
John DAVENPORT, first moderator of the Onondaga County Presbytery, is buried in Baldwinsville. His is one of the 39 graves in the town of Van Buren. Others in the Baldwinsville Cemetery are:
Thomas FARRINGTON, Benjamin DePUY, Shereblah[?] EVANS, Richard HOUSE, John McHARRIE, first settler at Baldwinsville; Lewis NEARNEY, Dow SMITH and Daniel VAN VLEET. Others in Van Buren are in these cemeteries:
Warners – Miles BENNETT, Thomas MARVIN, ancestor of Mayor Rolland B. MARVIN of Syracuse; Atchinson MELLON, Ebenezer MORLEY, Thomas REWEY[?], Samuel SHAVER, Jeremiah STEVES, Calvin WATERMAN, Adonijah WHITE, Moses HART, Benjamin JONES.
Ionia – John C. BRITTON, John DUNHAM, William LAKIN and John TUPPEN.
Sorrell Hill – Eben HART, John CUNNINGHAM, David HOW, John INGALSBEE, Phineas MEAGO.
Oakwood Cemetery contains bones of 10 soldiers who have been moved from other burial plots. Among them are James GEDDES, Zebulon RUST, Amos STANTON, Manuel TRUAIR, Isaac VAN VLECK, Major Reuben WOODWORTH, Benjamin COOK, Capt. John FITCH, Capt. Samuel PECK and Comfort TYLER, one of the first settlers in Onondaga County.
In the First Ward Cemetery are graves of Joseph RICHMOND, William KELLOGG, Moses AVERILL, Ichabod BRACKETT and James CLARK.
At Myrtle Hill, once in the town of Geddes, are those of Dennison AVERY and Jacob SAMMONS. In Rose Hill the Rev. Daniel WALDO and Captain Moses BURT are buried.
In the abandoned Lodi Cemetery in South Beach Street is the grave of Elias STEENBURG and in West Genesee Street is said to be the grave of Benjamin NEUKIRCK.”
Newspaper Article located in the “Syracuse Herald,” Sunday Morning, June 28, 1931, Section 3, pages 3 and 9. (source: www.newspaperarchive.com.) Transcribed and digitized by Richard Hillenbrand.
Copyright © 2007 – Richard Hillenbrand – Upstate New York Genealogy – www.unyg.com – All Rights Reserved
Dick Hillenbrand – Upstate New York Genealogy – www.unyg.com