Posts Tagged ‘DAR’
The New York State Library is going to be open on Saturdays, starting this coming October 16th. This story sounded too good to be true, but it has been verified.
For those of you that work during the week this is a golden opportunity to be able to take advantage of the unique collections and fingertip access to some of the best published and non-published resources for New York State ancestors.
Update: Oct 13, 2010 – Additional information.
This may not be permanent. Some say yes, but one person that works at the library said that this might only be for a couple of months. So readers, if you want to take advantage of this great opportunity you had better plan to go sooner, than later.
One other bonus of visiting on a Saturday is that the two end parking lots outside are free parking.
If it is your first trip to Albany or if you have not visited the seventh floor of the Cultural Education Center in some time, then you will want to ask for a quick orientation when you get to the Genealogy/Local History reference area.
Here in metal filing cabinets you will find those hard to come by New York State census microfilms arranged by county/town for all of the NYS census that has survived. A few of the counties have all or parts of the 1825 and 1835 census, many of them have the 1855, 1865, 1875, and 1892. For those interested in more modern times there are also films for 1905, 1915 and 1925 available.
For a complete list of films available you will want to check out the main website at www.unyg.com and click on the tab marked: NY Counties & NYS Census. Take a look at the far right column for a list of all of the known state census extant.
The state library is also where you will have ready access to the many microfilmed copies of old newspapers that are in the NYS Library Newspaper Project. Nothing like going right to the center of your ancestor’s community to read about the events of the day just as they read them so long ago.
To those who have Civil War Union ancestors that served from New York State, you will discover that the NYS Library and Archives might just have more information on your guy than the National Archives in Washington, DC does. Ask for help from a librarian for the best way to search for Civil War data.
Another huge resource of unpublished data is in the hundreds of volumes of manuscript or typescript books that were assembled by the various NYS chapters of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). These wonderful ladies started as long ago as the late 1800′s, collecting bible records, church records, documents and surveyed thousands of NYS cemeteries and sent their lists in to Washington. Then a duplicate copy of these mostly typewritten sheets were also deposited at the NYS Library.
There is a card file index and also a compiled general index to the DAR collection that was done by Mrs. Jean Worden. You may search by county/town, surnames, etc. Most of these thousands of unique DAR records have never been published anywhere.
Check out their website before your trip and you will be able to plan your research goals before you arrive. http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/gengen.htm – If an item is in storage they only pull books at 10 am and 2 pm, so it would be good to know ahead of time what you might need when you arrive.
For directions and a map of the parking areas check this link: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/locpar_ce.htm
If you have any questions you may call ahead of time at the Local History/Genealogy desk: 518-474-5161.
One other nice benefit of going to the state library is that during the week, the Capital District Genealogy Society (CDGS) mans a volunteer help desk. The nice people of the society are there to assist patrons and help the librarians, but I have not been able to find out yet if there will be a CDGS volunteer there on Saturdays.
Good luck in your search and have fun!
1931 Syracuse Newspaper Story About DAR Marking Graves of 595 Revolutionary War Soldiers Buried in Onondaga County
(The following transcribed newspaper article is dated: 28 JUN 1931.)
“Marking of Revolutionary War Graves By D.A.R. Signals Start of Campaign to Identify 595 in Onondaga County.”
[two ladies photos,]
“Mrs. W. L. POTTER, left, and Mrs. Leon E. BUSHNELL, regents, of General Asa DANFORTH, and To-whan-to-qua Chapters, Daughters of American Revolution, who are in charge of a co-operative program having for its aim the marking of all graves of Revolutionary soldiers buried in Onondaga County.
Co-operative Program to Designate Heroes’ Resting Places With Bronze Tablets Containing Records Is Begun.
In placing tablets on graves of Revolutionary War Soldiers in Walnut Grove Cemetery, Onondaga Hill, and in DeWitt Cemetery near Orville, Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution took another step in their co-operative program to provide suitable markers of all 595 soldiers buried in Onondaga County.
These markers, 35 of which already have been set up, include bronze tablets carrying names and service records of the soldiers mounted on concrete blocks, providing identification of the resting places of men who helped to establish Liberty for American colonists.
None of these men was a native of Onondaga County, that region being a forest wilderness inhabited only by Indians and wild life of woods and stream at the time of the revolution.
At the close of the war New York State opened up a vast tract of land in Central New York, of which the present Onondaga County was a part, to Revolutionary soldiers and hundreds of men migrated to the then wilderness country with their families and became pioneer settlers in the new land.
Many of these settlers became widely known in the early history of county, State and nation. Other names have been perpetuated by descendants, some of whom are prominent resident of Onondaga County today.
Markers were placed on the graves at Onondaga Hill by Gen. Asa DANFORTH Chapter, D.A.R., of which Mrs. W.L. POTTER is regent.
To-whan-to-qua Chapter, Mrs. Leon E. BUSHNELL, regent, has marked the 14 known graves in Orville Cemetery and the sons of the Revolution are starting their work in the Jamesville Cemeteries, where many soldiers of the Revolution are resting.
All of the 14 graves in the Walnut Grove Cemetery at Onondaga Hill are now marked except that of Daniel RAYNOR, father of Henry RAYNOR, early Syracuse settler, for whom Raynor Avenue is named and who lived in a house on what is now Hendricks Field, Syracuse University. A descendant, George RAYNOR, lives in Texas. The 13 graves so far marked in that cemetery are those of Capt. James BEEBE, William EVANS, Justus JOHNSON, Jonathan STRONG, Stephen WARD, Ebenezer JUDD, Ebenezer WHITE, Barney LINCOLN, Sr., Ebenezer COVILLE, Roderick ADAMS, Josiah BROWNSON, Jonathan POTTER and John WIGGINS.
Captain BEEBE was an early Inn Keeper at Onondaga Hill and keeper of the County Jail when Onondaga Hill was the seat of Onondaga County and the rival of Onondaga Valley for metropolitan honors. He was drowned in Seneca River in 1821 while returning from Oswego, where he had gone on business. Mrs. Fred L. LOES, 1804 Valley Drive, is a descendant of Captain BEEBE.
Jonathan STRONG, father of Oliver STRONG, one of the early judges of Onondaga County, has many descendants in New York State, one of them, William W. STRONG, a native Syracusan, being owner of a department store in Gloversville.
Lucius KINNE, for many years a Syracuse banker, is a great-grandson of Cyrus KINNE, the first settler in Fayetteville, who is buried in Orville Cemetery. The Revolutionary soldier lay for many years in the old cemetery in Fayetteville until 1917, when his bones were transferred to Orville. Miss Gertrude Belle KINNE of East Syracuse is a great-granddaughter.
Orlo D. BURHANS, 206 Furman Street; H.N. BURHANS, 2627 East Genesee Street, and Mrs. E.A. HUNT, 2017 East Genesee Street, are descendants of two Revolutionary soldiers, one Henry BURHANS, being buried at Orangeville, and the other, Nehemiah CARPENTER, in Collamer Cemetery.
Their father Colonel BURHANS, commanded the 149th New York Infantry in the Civil War.
Mrs. John AUSTIN and her daughter, Mrs. R.E. PUTNAM, 2001 Roosevelt Avenue, are descended from Daniel J. FORT, buried at Pompey Hill. His son, Daniel FORT, once served as mayor of Oswego.
Mrs. Gerald M. PARCE, 205 East Seneca Turnpike, is a descendant of Maj. Daniel ALLEN, buried in Pompey Hollow Cemetery. Major ALLEN was the father of Herrick ALLEN, long one of the most prominent residents of Delphi Falls, and a relative of Ozias BURR, first judge of the Court of Common Pleas in Onondaga County. It is said of Judge BURR that he never appeared in court without a ruffled shirt but frequently presided over law cases in his bare feet. Judge BURR, also a Revolutionary veteran, is buried near his kinsman in Pompey Hollow.
Jacob LOW, who is buried at Jamesville, was an ancestor of Bessie M. RHINES of 120 Warrington Road, Mrs. W.H. THOMAS of 118 Rustin Avenue is descended form Elijah WALLACE, who lies in a small burial plot south of Oran.
Dr. Edward ANNABLE, buried at Marcellus, and a guard at the execution of Major ANDRE, was an ancestor of Mrs. Adiline BOYD of 205 Kensington Place. Mrs. BOYD also is a descendant of Joseph AMIDON and Samuel VINTON, whose graves are in the cemetery east of Navarino.
Mrs. C.W. COLEMAN of 203 Furman Street, in charge of research work for Gen. Asa DANFORTH Chapter D.A.R., is descended from Barney LINCOLN, buried at Onondaga Hill. C.A. COLLINS, postmaster at Oran, is the great-great-grandson of Hezekiah OLCOTT, the first white man to be buried at Pompey Hill.
H.E. RANSIER, veteran Manlius pharmacist, is the great-grandson of George RANSIER, who is buried in Manlius Cemetery.
In the old cemetery east of Elbridge is the grave of Squire MUNRO, ancestor of the MUNRO family, of which Thomas H. MUNRO and Edwin K. MUNRO of Camillus are members.
Robert GEDDES, 310 ½ Van Rensselaer Street, is the great-great grandson of Judge James GEDDES, first settler of the town which bears his name and surveyor and engineer who laid out the Erie Canal. Mr. GEDDES also is a descendant of Timothy JEROME, father-in-law of Judge GEDDES, and one of the first settlers in the town of Fabius. Judge GEDDES lies in Oakwood Cemetery and Mr. JEROME is buried in Pompey Hill.
Edward SNIFFEN, superintendent of the Syracuse Herald composing room, is the great-great-grandson of Robert SNIFFEN, whose grave is in Cardiff Cemetery.
Among the graves of distinguished Revolutionary War soldiers in Onondaga County is that of Peter BOWMAN, an aide of Gen. George WASHINGTON, who is buried in Belle Isle Cemetery. Gen. Asa DANFORTH, one of the pioneers of Onondaga, at Onondaga Valley; Gen. Isaac HALL, at Lafayette; Col. Bigelow LAWRENCE and Dan BRADLEY, in Marcellus, and Moses DeWITT, first surrogate of Onondaga County, whose bones lie in a neglected burial ground a mile south of Jamesville.
Fifty-five Revolutionary heroes are buried in the town of Onondaga. Gen. John ELLIS, who built the house still standing across the road from the Onondaga County Home and introduced Merino sheep into New York State, is buried in a family plot close to his home.
At South Onondaga are the graves of Jacob AMIDON, Joseph AMIDON, Jabesh COLE, Maj. David LAWRENCE, Caleb POTTER, Benony REYNOLDS, Gideon SEELEY, Solomon DAY and Benjamin GRIFFIN.
Parley HOWLET, ancestor of a widely known family is buried at Howlett Hill, as are Joseph TAPP, Bensby ROBBINS, James WHITNEY, Jonathan HAWN, Joel CORNISH, Giles CASE and William BACON.
In the cemetery east of Navarino are graves of Azariah HALL, Ephraim HALL, Gideon PITTS, David VINTON, Samuel VINTON, George WEBBER, Stephen WICKHAM, William CHURCH, James GAMBELL, and John HENDERSON.
Graves of [widely?] known pioneers are in the cemetery in Onondaga Valley, now a part of Syracuse. Among them are General DANFORTH, Dr. John BREWSTER, Isaac DANKS, Joseph FORMAN, founder of Syracuse; Increase HOOKER, Judah HOPKINS, Capt. Joseph PECK, William WYMAN, John LATHROP and Aaron WOOD.
In Onondaga Valley Cemetery also is the grave of Ebenezer MOORE, who served with General LaFAYETTE and who was known as “Cabbage Head,” because of his large head. It is said that when General LaFAYETTE visited Onondaga Hill in 1825 he recognized MOORE and called him by name, although it had been more than 40 years since he had seen him.
Ephraim WEBSTER, first settler in the county, is remembered by a monument in Onondaga Valley Cemetery, although the pioneer is buried at Alabama Center in the western part of the state, where he died while on a trip through that region.
Pompey, with [33?] graves of Revolutionary soldiers, leads the county; Clay, with six, has the fewest, except Geddes, which after the organization of the village of Syracuse, has not a single known Revolutionary grave.
Among the graves in Pompey Hill Cemetery, where 24 are buried, are those of Timothy JEROME, Ebenezer BUTLER, first settler in Pompey; Hezekiah OLCOTT and David BEARD, whose son became a widely known business man in Fayetteville. Others are:
Isaac BALDWIN. Lebbeus BALL, Capt. Seeley CASTLE, Dr. Hezekiah CLARKE, Timothy COSSITT, Thomas DYER, Samuel DEWEY, Daniel FORT, Benjamin HAYES, Richard HISCOCK, Hezekiah HOPKINS, Timothy PHELPS, Levi JEROME, Samuel PITTS, Zaddock SEYMOUR, William SHANKLAND, Isreal SLOAN, John SLOSSON, Elisha SMITH, Godfrey WILLISTON, Josiah BIGELOW, William GARRETT, the Rev. Joseph GILBERT, Jacob HOBART, James KING, John MILLS, John TODD, Samuel WHEELOCK, William WILLIAMS and Moses WOOD.
In Oran Cemetery are graves of Asa BARNS, Phineas BARNS, Joseph BARTHOLOMEW, Daniel CANDOR, Jedediah CLEVELAND, Isaac DELEMETER, Stephen EATON, Ashebel GRIDLEY, Elizah GRIDLEY, Francis HALE, Noah PALMER, Aaron PARKINSON, Capt. Enos PECK, David SCOVILLE, Jonathan BUELL, Daniel DUNHAM, Thomas FOSTER, Joseph HART, Samuel MORRIS, Elisha THOMAS, John WHITE, Job WILLIAMS, Ebenezer WRIGHT and Calvin SPRAGUE.
At Pompey Hollow are graves of William COOK, Isiah DEAN, Dr. Zachariah CUTTING, Josiah HOLBROOK and Benjamin LEWIS.
At Delphi Falls are graves of Stutson BENSON, Jeremiah CRANDALL, Elisha GAGE, Ephraim LEECH, Abel SHERWOOD, John SHIELDS, James CAMERON, Benjamin COATS, David SWEET and Stephen JACKSON.
Timothy SWEET, ancestor of the SWEET family widely known in the industrial history of Syracuse, is buried in the Sweet Cemetery near Watervale. So are David HINSDELL, Reuben MURRAY and Thomas LEWIS.
James BROOKHART is buried in a cemetery two miles southeast of Pompey Hill. Others there are Nicholas BARTLETT and Daniel CURTIS. On a farm north of Pompey Hill is the grave of Conrad BUSH. Elijah WALLACE lies in a plot south of Oran. Capt. Jeremiah JAKSON is buried on a farm west of Pompey and Ralph WHEELOCK’s grave is in the hillside cemetery at Watervale.
Twenty-two soldiers are in graves in the town of Camillus. Among the 10 in Belle Isle Cemetery is the grave of John CLARK, Solomon HUNTLEY, Zebulon ISHAM, Capt. William McCRACKEN, Robert PAINE, Stephen [ROBNOR?], John WALTER, Aaron WHITE and Samuel HOPKINS.
Isaac BROWN, Stephen THOMPSON, Denison WHEELER and Stephen WATKINS are buried in Fairmount, and Benjamin BUCKLIN, Jeremiah DUNHAM, Reuben KIDDER and Enoch WOOD lie in the old cemetery west of Camillus.
At Oswego Bitters are Isaac CLUTE, Benjamin CULVER and John MARSHALL and Col. John DILL, one of the earliest settlers in the town, lies in Wheeler Cemetery.
Thirteen soldiers graves are in the town of Cicero with those of Roswell BARNS, Samuel BURLINGTON, Joseph DAMON and Benjamin [DAMON?] in the cemetery across Chittenango Creek from Bridgeport.
Elijah LOOMIS, the first settler at South Bay, and David POTTER are buried at Stone Arabia, and the Rev. John SHEPHERD, John TEN EYCK, William PARSONS, Stephen BENEDICT, Oliver STEVENS, Peter TERPENNING and Rial BINGHAM at Cicero village.
All the known graves in Clay are in Euclid Cemetery. They include William BEAGLE, John LYNN, John MARSHALL, Zebulon PATCHETT, Ellis THAYER and John WEIZEK[?].
Forty-one Revolutionary soldiers are buried in the town of DeWitt. At Orville are Cyrus KINNE, Anthony BADGLEY, Freelove [BLOTTIE?-SIC][BLAKE], Henry BOGARDUS, who kept the first Inn in Syracuse where the Empire Hotel now stands; Peter BOGARDUS, Silas BURKE, Stephen LEONARD, Gad MILLER, Benjamin MOREHOUSE, first settler at Manlius; John POST, one of the organizers of early Free Masonry; Pelham RIPLEY, John YOUNG, Henry BURHANS and Andrew THOMPSON.
In Jamesville Cemetery are graves of Elijah BARNUM, Thomas DIXON, Thomas DONNELLY, Dr. George EAGER, Jeremiah GOULD, Elias GUMACH[?], Stephen HUNGERFORD, Jacob LOW, Roger MERRIL, Peter MESSENGER, Col. David OLMSTEAD, George W. OLMSTEAD, Mathew WILCOX, William BREWSTER, Isaac DODGE, Job KEEN, Joseph LEAVITT, Joseph REED, Robert RICHARDSON and Elijah SPRAGUE.
At Collamer are graves of Philip BRITTON, Nehemiah CARPENTER, Simon TERWILLIGER, John BURTON, John DEVOE and Peter TALLMAN, while in an old cemetery on the Salt Springs Road is that of Abijah ADAMS.
In the old cemetery at Elbridge are 17 of the 25 graves in that town. They are Stephen BENNETT, Carter CHAPPELL, Caius HARMON, John HESS, Horace KELLOGG, Gilbert MALLORY, Squire MANRO, David BERRY, Nicholas PICKARD, Stephen PRATT, David REDNER, Freelove ROBERTS, William TAYLOR, Daniel VARE, Elijah WARD and Daniel HAMMOND.
James BETTS[?], Ebenezer DAGGETT, Samuel SANDS and Patrick CARSO are buried in the old Jordan Cemetery: Ephraim GORHAM, William STEVENS and John PAGE at Mount Hope, near Elbridge and Abner LEE in Meech Cemetery near Jordan.
Thirty-one graves in the town of Fabius are in these cemeteries: Old Fabius, Capt. Joseph ANDREWS, Reuben CADWELL, Ambrose GROW, David JOY, Abner HUBBARD, Capt. John SWIFT, Rufus CARTER, Joseph CADWELL.
Fabius Evergreen – William BENSON, Simon KEENEY, Elijah ANDREWS, Josiah HILLS.
Apulia – Amos BENEDICT, John CROSS, William FOX, Jacob GOODRICH, Phiny MILLER, James PENOYER, William PERRY, David ROWLAND, Stephen DAVIS.
An old cemetery west of Apulia holds the graves of Rufus CARTER and Theodore MILES. In a cemetery two miles south of Fabius are those of Abraham LANSING, Patrick McDONALD, Patrick SINNOTT[?] and John P. WALLACE. Isaac NEGUS is buried in Beach Cemetery in the northwestern part of the town, William ANDERSON is in Keeney Settlement Cemetery and Daniel MERRILL is buried near Gooseville.
In Lafayette cemeteries are:
Sherman Hollow – Ruben BRYAN, Benjamin JUNE, Solomon OWEN, James PIERCE, James SHERMAN and John EVERINGHAM.
Pine Grove, near Navarino – Asa DRAKE, Ambrose NORTON, William CAMPBELL, Enoch DRAKE, Elijah REED.
Lafayette – Jonathan EMMOND, Gen. Isaac HALL, Jedediah WINCHELL, Daniel COLE, Joseph COLE, James DAVIS, Jeremiah FULLER[?], Joseph SMITH.
Cardiff – Nathaniel GAGE, Zenas NORTHWAY, Robert SNIFFEN, ancestor of Edward SNIFFEN, superintendent of the Herald Composing room; Augustinus SHUE, Daniel WINCHELL, Nathan ABBOTT, Samuel COLEMAN.
Houghtaling Settlement near Onativia – John HOUGHTALING; abandoned cemetery near Lafayette, Isaac HOYT; Webb Hollow, Benjamin WEBB.
Of the 21 graves in Lysander, those of Parmenius ADAMS, Silas SCHOFIELD. Isaac DOLSEN and Elijah [DOLSEN?] are in Plainville; Nathan BETTS, Jacob NORTHRUP, Joseph GORDON and John MASTIN at Lysander, formerly Betts Corners; Nathan BORDEN, Nathan KELLOGG, Jonathan PALMER, Nathaniel PALMER and Austin SMITH at Jacksonville.
Other Lysander graves are those of William FLEMING and Samuel PRESTON at Belgium. George FRAVOR, Stiles FREEMAN, John GREY, Edward TYLER and Daniel CHASE in Chase’s Cemetery near Lamsons and Joel ROSE in a grave one and one half miles west of Baldwinsville.
Dr. Amos GRANGER, father of Amos GRANGER, widely known Syracuse pioneer, is in one of the 24 graves in Manlius village cemetery. Others buried there are Elijah BACHUS, Nathan BENEDICT, Paul CLAPP, Col. William GARDINER, George GRINELL, Phineas KELLOGG, Caleb MERRILL, first master of Military Lodge of Masons; Moses MILLS, Josiah OLCOTT, Major PARKE, Zebedee POTTER, George RANSEAR, Timothy TEALL, first town clerk of Manlius; Robert WILSON, early postmaster; Ichabod WOOD, Henry CLARK, John FLEMING, Samuel HOPKINS, Daniel HUBBARD, Capt. William TRYON, William WARD and Daniel WATTLES.
Other graves in the town of Manlius are those of Levi BISHOP, Origen[?] EATON and Capt. Sanford PULVER in Fayetteville. Gershom BREED and Simon PHILLIPS in Breeds Cemetery east of Fayetteville, Adam WALTER in Gates Cemetery near Deep Spring, Lawrence HARTER and Benjamin DARLING in Minoa, David DEWEY, John FERGUSON, Solomon HATCH, Thomas HAYWOOD and John TOMB at North Manlius and Harmon VAN SLYCK and Cornelius VAN TASSELL at Manlius Center.
In Marcellus are those of James BAKER, Elisha CHAPMAN, William COBB, Martin COSSITT, John DILLABOR, Reuben DORCHESTER, Josiah FROST, Chauncey GAYLORD.
William GILES, Capt. Reuben HUMPHRIES, also a state senator; Jesse KELLOGG, George KENNEDY, Ariel LAWRENCE, Col. Bigelow LAWRENCE, Bigelow LAWRENCE, Jr., Joab LAWRENCE, Peter LAWRENCE, Robert McCULLOCH, Freeman NORTON, Eleazur PORTER, Jonathan RANDALL, Daniel SHERMAN, Samuel TYLER, Dan BRADLEY, Amos COOK, Joseph CHAFFEE.
Nathan KELSEY, Thomas NORTH, John RHODES, who built the first mill at Marcellus; Samuel RICE, Joseph BISHOP and Major Amaziah BOYCE.
In Thorn Hill Cemetery are graves of Elijah BOWEN, David EARLL, Jeremiah FITZGERALD, Timothy KNAPP, James HISCOCK, Oliver HYDE, Luther MANLEY, Timothy MILLS, Job SMITH, Samuel CONKLIN, Joshua GARDNER and Stephen NORTON, while in Marietta John G. BURTIS is buried.
Of the 23 graves in Otisco these five are in Amber:
Joseph BALCH, Dr. John DAVIS, Samuel STEWART, Samuel HALL and David MOORE. Others are in these burial grounds:
Octagon Schoolhouse – Leavitt BILLINGS, Ebenezer FRENCH, Isaiah FRISBEE, Aphalon KING, Christopher MONK, Ebenezer POMEROY.
Cemetery one mile east of Otisco – Capt. Eliakin CLARK, Charles MERRIMAN, Ira POMEROY, Edward ROSE, Benjamin COWLES, Samuel FRENCH, Job G. FELLERS, ancestor of the FELLOWS family in Onondaga, Michael JOHNSON and Jonathan KINGSLEY.
On a farm near Maple Grove is the grave of Peter COREY, on one near Otisco is that of Lieut. Lemuel RUST and on one west of the same hamlet Moses PELTON is buried.
Fifty-four soldiers are buried in the town of Skaneateles, as follows:
Owasco Cemetery at Dutch Hollow – Elkanah BENSON, Stephen BENSON, Garrett COWNOVER, Martin GUYKENDALL, Wilhelmus CUYKENDALL, Cornelius DeWITT, Elijah DRAKE, Daniel ENNIS, Abraham STRYKER, Peter TALLMAN, Resoloth VAN HOUTEN, Obijah BAKER, Peter DECKER.
Mottville – Joseph BILLINGS, Daniel EARLL, Jonas EARLL, Gen Robert EARLL, Thomas WARD.
Skaneateles – Eli CLARK, Dr. Nehemiah CLEMIA[?], Joseph CLIFT, Bethuel COLE, Abraham CUDDEBACK, Simeon EWARDS, Solomon EDWARDS, Thaddeus EDWARDS, Nathaniel EELLS, Thomas GREENE, Asa HATCH, Moses LEGG, Nathan LEONARD, Charles PARDEE, Jared PATCHEN, Capt. Samuel RHODES.
William L. VREDENBURGH, Jonathan WESTON, James WILDER, John WILKINSON, father of the first postmaster of Syracuse; Samuel BEEBE, John BRIGGS, David HALL, Daniel LUDLOW, Benjamin NYE, Joseph RHODES, James ROOT, Joseph STEVENS, John TEN EYCK, Ephraim THOMAS.
Shepherd Settlement – Jerrisha SAVAGE, John WEST, John BURROUGHS, Benjamon BUSH; Bennett Corners – John WALSH; a farm near Octagon School – Oliver PERK.
In the town of Spafford are 22 graves in these cemeteries:
Spafford – Thompson BURDICK, James CHURCHILL, Capt. Elipahet HYDE, Peter KNAPP, Jeremiah OLMSTEAD, Daniel OWENS, Samuel PRINDEL, Dr. Ebenezer PATTERSON.
Cold Brook – John CHURCH and Isaac TOWNE: Davis Cemetery – Ellas[?] DAVIS and Amos FISHER.
Borodino – Robert FULLER, John GREENE, Jesse MALEY, Reuben MAXSON, Timothy ADAMS, John GALE, Elias JACKSON, Joseph LEWIS, Gordon COLTON, Benjamin WALLACE.
The 21 graves in the town of Tully are in these cemeteries:
Tully – Elijah BRONSON, Ichabod CONE, Andrew ENGLISH, Dr. Samuel HUTCHINGS, Paul JAMES, Seth TROWBRIDGE, Stephen TROBRIDGE, William TROWBRIDGE, Moses TUTTLE, Capt. Garrett VAN HOOSEN, John G. WILSON and Joseph WILSON.
Vesper – Enoch FARLEY, James FULLER and Amos CARR; west of Tully Lakes, Henry WHITE, William WHITE, cemetery south of Tully, James GOODELL, Shubell KNIFFEN and Timothy WALKER; Tully Valley, David WHITE.
John DAVENPORT, first moderator of the Onondaga County Presbytery, is buried in Baldwinsville. His is one of the 39 graves in the town of Van Buren. Others in the Baldwinsville Cemetery are:
Thomas FARRINGTON, Benjamin DePUY, Shereblah[?] EVANS, Richard HOUSE, John McHARRIE, first settler at Baldwinsville; Lewis NEARNEY, Dow SMITH and Daniel VAN VLEET. Others in Van Buren are in these cemeteries:
Warners – Miles BENNETT, Thomas MARVIN, ancestor of Mayor Rolland B. MARVIN of Syracuse; Atchinson MELLON, Ebenezer MORLEY, Thomas REWEY[?], Samuel SHAVER, Jeremiah STEVES, Calvin WATERMAN, Adonijah WHITE, Moses HART, Benjamin JONES.
Ionia – John C. BRITTON, John DUNHAM, William LAKIN and John TUPPEN.
Sorrell Hill – Eben HART, John CUNNINGHAM, David HOW, John INGALSBEE, Phineas MEAGO.
Oakwood Cemetery contains bones of 10 soldiers who have been moved from other burial plots. Among them are James GEDDES, Zebulon RUST, Amos STANTON, Manuel TRUAIR, Isaac VAN VLECK, Major Reuben WOODWORTH, Benjamin COOK, Capt. John FITCH, Capt. Samuel PECK and Comfort TYLER, one of the first settlers in Onondaga County.
In the First Ward Cemetery are graves of Joseph RICHMOND, William KELLOGG, Moses AVERILL, Ichabod BRACKETT and James CLARK.
At Myrtle Hill, once in the town of Geddes, are those of Dennison AVERY and Jacob SAMMONS. In Rose Hill the Rev. Daniel WALDO and Captain Moses BURT are buried.
In the abandoned Lodi Cemetery in South Beach Street is the grave of Elias STEENBURG and in West Genesee Street is said to be the grave of Benjamin NEUKIRCK.”
Newspaper Article located in the “Syracuse Herald,” Sunday Morning, June 28, 1931, Section 3, pages 3 and 9. (source: www.newspaperarchive.com.) Transcribed and digitized by Richard Hillenbrand.
Copyright © 2007 – Richard Hillenbrand – Upstate New York Genealogy – www.unyg.com – All Rights Reserved
Dick Hillenbrand – Upstate New York Genealogy – www.unyg.com